In 1938 Army Lt. Colonel Sigmund E. Edelstone had an innovative idea: selling touch-up paint for cars that matched perfectly to the original OEM finish. He started the business in his garage, filling touch-up bottles with bulk OEM paint purchased from paint manufacturers like Sherwin-Williams.
Sigmund was never satisfied with less-than-perfect products. His business developed quickly and was relocated in downtown Chicago. Employees realized their work was always going to be personally scrutinized.
Mr. Edelstone was also a patron of the arts. It is believed his artistic sense and his demand for perfection led to Dupli-Color’s success.
For over 60 years, Dupli-Color has been known for its "Perfect Match" in touch-up automotive paints. And has continued its founder’s philosophy of “perfection” through new product innovations for both the car and truck refinishing, OEM and specialty coating markets.
Since 1866, when Henry Sherwin and Edward Williams produced paint for carriages and buggies, the company has pushed the envelope of coating technology. Besides developing dry chemical pigments, brushable lacquers and synthetic enamels, Sherwin- Williams was the first company to offer an emulsified finish.
Today that pioneering spirit lives on with new developments of coatings that are more durable, longer lasting, easier to apply, and friendlier to the environment. The company’s large technical staff and ISO 9000 lab is constantly developing new coating technology that is VOC-compliant, and exceeds application and performance requirements.
Developing and applying these technologies allows the Sherwin-Williams Company to continue to produce and market innovative, new products under the Dupli-Color Brand to fulfill the needs of today’s consumers.